This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Moist and hearty southern style vegan cornbread recipe. Made with nutritious spelt flour. Perfect to serve with winter soup or chilli!
I grew up on beans and cornbread! I have southern roots and beans and cornbread were many dinners. When I went vegan I thought my cornbread eating days were over. Until I played around with this recipe. This vegan cornbread recipe is moist, sweet and fluffy. And the best thing about this vegan cornbread recipe is that I used spelt flour.
Vegan Curve Building Ingredients
Spelt in general is often something highly used in the alkaline vegan community. One cup of spelt flour has 11 grams of protein which makes it very curve building friendly and healthier than white flour! Spelt does contain gluten but in lower amounts. Still if you have a serious gluten intolerance or Celic disease, please avoid all together and use a gluten free all purpose flour.
Spelt Vegan Cornbread Recipe
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 cup cornmeal flour
- ¼ cup organic cane sugar
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup plant based milk (unsweetened and unflavored)
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup melted vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl, combined 1 cup of flour, 1 cup of cornmeal, ¼ cup of sugar, ½ teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, and ¼ teaspoon of baking soda. Stiff together lightly until combined.
- In a separate large bowl, mix together 1 cup of plant based milk of choice, ⅓ cup of canola oil, ¼ cup of melted vegan butter, and 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar. Mix together till combined
- Add your wet ingredients to your dry ingredients and mix until combined. DO NOT OVER MIX OUR BATTER.
- Pour batter into a 9x9 inch baking pan and bake for 20-25 minutes. You know it is done once you stick a toothpick into it and it comes out clean. (see photo above)
- Allow to cool before cutting. Serve with your favorite soup and chili. Will store in refrigerator for 5 to 7 days and in the freezer for 2 to 3 months.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my full Affiliate Disclaimer.
© Gina Marie Hoskins. Vegan With Curves. All Rights Reserved. Unless noted otherwise, all images, recipes, & content are copyright protected and registered with the U.S. Copyright Office. My images and written content are NOT to be used without prior permission. Read full Copyright Disclosure.