This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This hearty vegan spelt cornbread is sweet, moist, and made with nutritious spelt flour. Perfect to serve with winter soup or chili!
Here at Vegan With Curves, we "thick like cornbread" and love to make it too! LOL
The Benefits of Using Spelt Flour
Spelt in general is often something highly used in the alkaline vegan community and a great food for healthy vegan alkaline weight gain as it is high protein.
Spelt flour is considered an ancient grain believe to have been first used over 7,000 years ago (Source: 8 Surprising Benefits of Spelt) It's my favorite grain to use for baking because of its nutty texture and earthy flavor.
It does contain gluten but in lower amounts making it easier to digest than modern day hybrid wheat flour or refined white flour. Still if you have a serious gluten intolerance or Celiac disease, it's best to avoid altogether.
How to Make Spelt Vegan Cornbread
*Please read detailed and printable recipe card below for full ingredients and instructions.
SUBSTITUTION, COOK, & STORAGE TIPS
- This recipe will store in your refrigerator in a air tight container for up to 5-7 days. You can store it in the freezer as well for up to 3 months.
- For maximum freezer storage, portion your cornbread into slices and vacuum seal it.
More Spelt Recipes You'll Love
Sweet Vegan Spelt Cornbread
- Preheat your oven to 350° F (175°C). In a large bowl, combined 1 cup of flour, 1 cup of cornmeal, ¼ cup of sugar, ½ teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, and ¼ teaspoon of baking soda. Stiff together lightly until combined.
- In a separate large bowl, mix together 1 cup of plant based milk of choice, ⅓ cup of canola oil, ¼ cup of melted vegan butter, and 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar. Mix together till combined
- Add your wet ingredients to your dry ingredients and mix until combined. DO NOT OVER MIX YOUR BATTER. Pour batter into a 9x9 inch baking pan or cast iron skillet and bake for 20-25 minutes. You know it is done once you stick a toothpick into it and it comes out clean. Allow to cool before cutting. Serve with your favorite soup and chili.
- FOOD SCALE: I highly recommend when it comes to baking (and accurate macros) to weigh your ingredients. The measurements provided in grams are accurate measurements I personally weighed and it will ensure the most accurate results. You can get an inexpensive food scale on Amazon for about $7 bucks.
- SEA MOSS MILK: You can use any milk of your choice if you don't want to make your own.
Update Notes: This post was originally published on February 24, 2018, but was republished with new photos, new ingredients, step by step instructions, tips, and a video on September 27, 2022.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my full Affiliate Disclaimer.
© Gina Marie Hoskins. Vegan With Curves. All Rights Reserved. Unless noted otherwise, all images, recipes, & content are copyright protected and registered with the U.S. Copyright Office. My images and written content are NOT to be used without prior permission. Read full Copyright Disclosure.