Red Bean Lentil Zucchini Spaghetti
Protein backed and healthy vegan zucchini pasta. A healthy dish great for a romantic dinner or post work out meal using simple ingredients; lentils, red beans and spaghetti sauce.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 5 servings (5 cups of Sauce)
- 1 tablespoon of grapeseed oil or olive oil
- 1 half onion chopped
- 1 cup of mushrooms
- 1 full jar of tomato sauce at least 18 oz
- 1 can of tomato paste
- 1 -2 teaspoon of organic cane sugar
- 3 to 5 basil herb leaves
- 1 can of BPA free lentils
- 1 can of BPA free red beans
- 1 small zucchini or half of large zucchini for one serving
Get a medium large pot and put over medium (delete) heat.
Add oil, onions, and mushrooms and saute for about 5 minutes consistently stiring.
Turn down heat to a low simmer and add tomato sauce, tomato paste, organic cane sugar, basil leaves, lentils and red beans. Stir until mixed properly.
Cover and simmer for 20 minutes periodically stirring sauce and tasting so that you can adjust seasonings to your liking.
Turn off and let it cool for 5 minutes.
Take your small medium zucchini or half of large zucchini, and spiral it. Place it on a plate. Top your zucchini with spaghetti sauce. Enjoy!!
Nutritional Information Per Serving
- Calories 275
- Fat 0 g
- Carbohydrates 52 g
- Fiber 16 g
- Sugar 16 g
- Protein 17 g
Substitutes and Additions:
- Only spiral your zucchini when you are ready to eat your past meal don't pre spiral your zucchini. The zucchini will not hold well once it is spiraled.
- Dried beans beans and lentils can be used instead of can beans. That would required more prep time. For dried red beans soak a cup of beans overnight before cooking. Use about 1 and half cups and in the recipe and save the rest for later. Pre cook 1/2 Cup of lentils (no need to soak) and use in spaghetti sauce.