Tempeh Vegan Protein Salad
This vegan protein salad uses tempeh and quinoa making it rich in plant-based protein. It’s a great lunch option and is guaranteed to get you through the rest of your workday.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
Servings 3 servings
- 1 120 oz package of tempeh note 1
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided divided
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 ½ teaspoon liquid smoke
- ½ teaspoon sriracha sauce
- ½ cup dry quinoa (yellow or multi-color)
- 2 cups water or broth
- handful fresh kale, chopped note 2
- handful fresh spinach note 2
- ½ - 1 medium avocado
- 1 roma tomato, chopped
- salad dressing of your choice
Slice the tempeh into 1/4 inch slices. The thinner you slice it the better the taste and texture. Slice it as thin as you can without it falling apart. Place tempeh in a baking dish.
Next make the marinade by combining soy sauce, 1 tablespoon olive oil, molasses, liquid smoke, and sriracha sauce in a medium bowl. Whisk well to combine.
Pour marinade over tempeh making sure they are all coated well by tossing your tempeh. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least an hour or overnight.
Warm 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Begin adding tempeh slices in a single layer to the pan. Fry on each side for 2-3 minutes, until golden brown and crispy. Remove and drain on a paper towel. Continue frying until all the tempeh is cooked and set aside.
Next in a medium pot bring water and broth to a rolling boil and add quinoa. Turn down heat and cook on medium low for about 10 to 15 minutes until quinoa has absorbed most of the liquid and fluffy. Drain and allow to cool for 5 to 10 minutes.
While quinoa is cooking, begin prepping your salad ingredients. Rinse your produce and begin chopping your kale thin and chopping your roma tomato. Add to a salad bowl along with spinach and avocado. Add your tempeh bacon and quinoa with your choice of dressing. Serve immediately.
Tempeh bacon will last in the fridge for about 3-4 days.
- TEMPEH: Instead of using tempeh experiment with different proteins like tofu. Even store-bought vegan bacon and lunch meats will work. Chickpeas and black beans would also work.
- SALAD: You don’t have to use kale or spinach. Romaine lettuce, red leaf lettuce, swiss chard, etc...any raw leafy salad greens will do. You can even add herbs like cilantro and parsley!
- ADDITIONS & SUBSTITUTIONS: You can bake your tempeh bacon instead of frying it. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the marinated tempeh on a pan and bake for 10 minutes. Flip and bake for an additional 10 minutes more. Remove and serve.
Serving: 3g | Calories: 477kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 32g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 997mg | Potassium: 806mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 653IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 68mg | Iron: 3mg