Black-Eyed Pea Soup
This black-eyed pea soup has added sweet potatoes and kale making for a delicious comforting and filling soup.
Servings 10 cups
- 1 lb dried black eyed peas
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter or oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves fresh garlic cloves, minced and chopped
- 1 teaspoon Cajun Seasoning Mix or store bought
- 32 ounces unsalted (or low sodium) vegetable stock or broth will
- 4 +1 cups water, divided
- 1 + ½ teaspoon liquid smoke, divided
- 1-2 dry or fresh dried bay leaves optional
- 4-6 cups kale
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 ½ tablespoon Cajun Seasoning Mix additional
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
Soak Your Black-Eyed Peas
Saute' Your Onions and Garlic
Add Ingredients to Your Slow Cooker
Transfer cooked onions and garlic into slow cooker.
Next, pour in vegetable stock, 1 cup of water, liquid smoke, and soaked black eyed peas into your slow cooker.
Cover and cook on high for 6 hours until peas are tender. (9 hours on low).
After 6 hours, stir in kale, sweet potatoes, 1 ½ tablespoon of Cajun Seasoning Mix, ½ teaspoon liquid smoke, dried bay leaves (optional), and sea salt.
Cover and cook on high for an additional 1 ½ - 2 hours.
Turn off slow cooker and let soup cool. Pull out bay leaves, and serve.
- The Cajun Seasoning Mix really gives this recipe a ton of flavor! DO NOT skip! (You can use store bought cajun seasoning if you desire).
- Don't skip the liquid smoke. It gives this meal a smokiness you would normally get from smoked meat.
- If you don't like kale, you can substitute with collard greens, turnips, mustard greens, or a mixture of greens!
- Pinto beans would also work perfectly with this dish!
- You can use kohlrabi, white potatoes, or turnips instead of sweet potatoes if you desire.
- This recipe will keep in the refrigerator for 4-5 days and in the freezer for about 1 month.
- I would caution against lowering the amount of salt (unless you have a medical issue that requires you to do so). You don't want bland soup and we are cooking a LARGE number of beans.
Stove Top Directions
Proceed with recipe as follows:
- You will need to pre-cook your beans first if you are doing it over a stove.
- Sort and soak your beans as stated above. Then add 6 -8 cups of water to a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Cook your black-eyed peas on low heat for 1 ½ - 2 hours until beans are tender.
- Or you can use 2 BPA free organic black-eyed peas in a can to save time.
- Heat vegan butter or oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until melted. Add onions to the skillet and cook until softened for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in fresh garlic and Cajun Seasoning Mix and fully coat onions and garlic for about 60 seconds.
- Next add broth, water, liquid smoke, kale, sweet potatoes, and cooked black-eyed peas to a large pot. Turn down low and simmer for about 30 minutes covered.
- Optional: After 30 minutes take a cup of the bean mixture and pour in a blender. Blend for a few seconds and add back to the pot and simmer for 10 more minutes. This makes it more creamy.
- Turn off and let cool. Serve with vegan cornbread, rice, or salad.
Serving: 2cups | Calories: 250kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1125mg | Potassium: 909mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 13135IU | Vitamin C: 35.5mg | Calcium: 120mg | Iron: 4.9mg