Apple Vegan Baked Oatmeal
This Apple Vegan Baked Oatmeal is made with old fashioned oats, tart apples, warming spices, and cranberries. Prepare the night before for a quick breakfast in the morning!
Servings 6 servings
Glass Mixing Bowl
Baking Glass Dish
- 1 teaspoon vegan butter, melted or softened
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 3 tablespoons filtered water
- 2 medium apples, chopped (app. 2 cups) note 1
- 2 ½ cups old fashioned oats note 2
- 1 ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ cup vegan butter, melted
- ½ cup applesauce
- ¼ cup agave nectar note 3
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract optional
- 1 ½ cup almond milk note 4
- ½ cup pecans note 4
- ½ cup dried cranberries, divided note 4
Vegan Baked Oatmeal
If you prefer you can peel your apples with an apple peeler or knife. (This is an optional step. I personally prefer to leave the skin on but you may do as you desire). Grab an apple slicer or knife and slice apples leaving out the core. Then proceed to chopped your apple slices into small pieces.
In a medium or large mixing bowl whisk together oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, sea salt, and baking powder.
In a separate large mixing bowl whisk together, flaxseed egg, ¼ cup melted vegan butter, applesauce, agave nectar, vanilla extract (opt), and almond milk.
Add oat mixture to milk mixture along with your chopped apples, pecans, and ¼ cup of dried cranberries. Stir well fully combining all your ingredients.
Pour your mixture into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup of dried cranberries over the top. Bake in your preheated oven for about 25 minutes until mixture is set.
Allow your baked oatmeal to cool for 20 minutes before serving so it will be easier to cut into. You can serve with additional apple slices, maple syrup, peanut butter, Crockpot Apple Butter, or Date Carameal Sauce!
- APPLES: Any type of apples will work with this dish; Gala, Granny Smith, etc. I highly encourage going to your farmer’s market and using fresh local apples!
Pears would work great with this recipe! You can do half chopped apples and half chopped pears if you like.
- OATS: If you are gluten-free, be sure to use certified gluten-free old fashioned oats. If you use instant oats instead of old fashioned oats, you will lose a lot of texture in the dish and the baking time will have to be adjusted as instant oats cook faster.
- LIQUID SWEETENER: Maple syrup can substitute for agave nectar or any sweetener you desire. If using a nonliquid sweetener, (like organic cane sugar) be sure to add it to your dry mixture.
- ADDITIONS & OTHER SUBSTITUTIONS: Use vegan butter sticks as they are better for baking. You can also substitute for coconut oil. You can use whatever nondairy milk of choice that you have on hand or that you desire. Pecans can be swamped out for sliced almonds or walnuts instead. Feel free to use raisins instead of dried cranberries or add half raisins and half dried cranberries!
- LEFTOVERS: Leftovers keep covered in the refrigerator 5-6 days and can be frozen for up to 2 months covered. If frozen, thaw in the refrigerator overnight and reheat in the microwave. Even better make this the night before, refrigerate, and then cut into 6 even portions for a meal prep breakfast to eat off of all week long!
Serving: 6servings | Calories: 371kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 70mg | Potassium: 457mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 22g | Vitamin A: 33IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 124mg | Iron: 2mg