One Pot Sweet Potato Chickpea Curry
One Pot Sweet Potato Chickpea Curry is a simple, easy, and budget-friendly dinner that is healthy and satisfying! It’s also made with most ingredients found easily in your pantry!
Servings 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (enough for sautéing for sautéing)
- ½ large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons curry powder note 1
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon EACH of sea salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and cumin
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder (Ceylon cinnamon is best if you can find it)
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 15.5 ounce canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed note 2
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, washed, peeled, and chopped note 3
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon additional vegetable broth
- 1 15.5 ounce canned unsweetened coconut milk note 4
- 1 15.5 ounce canned diced tomatoes
- 1 ½ teaspoon corn starch
- kale or spinach (as little or as much as you like)
- cilantro or parsley (as little or as much as you like)
- squeeze lime (app. 1 tsp more or less to taste)
In a large pot add oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for to 2 to 3 minutes until onions soften.
Next, add in all your seasonings, chickpeas, and sweet potatoes. Sauté for a 1 to 2 minutes fully coating your chickpeas and sweet potatoes with the onions and seasonings.
Then you will add in 2 cups of vegetable broth, coconut milk, and diced tomatoes. Mix well and turn heat down to low. Cover and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes enough time to ensure the potatoes are cooked.
Once 30 to 40 mins has elapsed, remove lid. In a small bowl mix corn starch with 1 tbsp of vegetable. Mix very well creating a "corn starch slurry" and pour that into your pot. This is to help thicken your curry.
Along with your corn starch slurry, add in kale or spinach, cilantro or parsley, and squeeze lime. Adjust seasonings to your liking, mix and let it cook on low uncover for 2 to 5 more minutes.
Remove from heat and serve over your choice of grain, with vegan naan bread, or even some spelt vegan cornbread. This recipe will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days and in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- CURRY POWDER: The curry powder brand you choose is completely up to you and your liking and taste buds. There is no specific brand you have to buy to make this recipe.
- CHICKPEAS: This recipe will also work with lentils instead of chickpeas.
- SWEET POTATOES: If you don't want to use sweet potatoes, try this recipe with butternut squash instead!
- CANNED COCONUT MILK: I use full fat coconut milk, but you can used light coconut milk if you desire. Be sure to use the canned coconut milk as that is made for cooking will not be overly sweet like the coconut milks you find in the jugs. Or you can make your own homemade coconut milk from scratch.
Serving: 1.5cups | Calories: 159kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1133mg | Potassium: 483mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 16865IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 58mg | Iron: 2mg