Spelt Vegan Cornbread Recipe
Moist and hearty southern style vegan cornbread recipe. Made with nutritious spelt flour. Perfect to serve with winter soup or chilli!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 9 servings (1 piece of cornbread per serving)
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 cup cornmeal flour
- 1/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup plant based milk (unsweetened and unflavored)
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup melted vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
Preheat your oven to 350 F.
In a large bowl, combined 1 cup of flour, 1 cup of cornmeal, 1/4 cup of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda. Stiff together lightly until combined.
In a separate large bowl, mix together 1 cup of plant based milk of choice, 1/3 cup of canola oil, 1/4 cup of melted vegan butter, and 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar. Mix together till combined
Add your wet ingredients to your dry ingredients and mix until combined. DO NOT OVER MIX OUR BATTER.
Pour batter into a 9x9 inch baking pan and bake for 20-25 minutes. You know it is done once you stick a toothpick into it and it comes out clean. (see photo above)
Allow to cool before cutting. Serve with your favorite soup and chili. Will store in refrigerator for 5 to 7 days and in the freezer for 2 to 3 months.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Substitutes and Additions:
- Calories 245
- Fat 15 g
- Carbohydrates 26 g
- Fiber 2 g
- Sugar 6 g
- Protein 3 g
- Feel free to use any flour of choice tho I highly recommend to avoid white flour for health purposes.
- Feel free to use any sugar of choice. Sugar free alternatives like stevia, monkfruit, erythritol, etc should be able to work with this tho I have not tried it personally.
Calories: 259kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 235mg | Potassium: 101mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Calcium: 53mg | Iron: 1.2mg