Spelt Vegan Cornbread Recipe
Moist and hearty southern style vegan cornbread recipe. Made with nutritious spelt flour. Perfect to serve with winter soup or chilli!
Servings 9 servings (1 piece of cornbread per serving)
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 cup cornmeal flour
- 1/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup plant based milk (unsweetened and unflavored)
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup melted vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
Preheat your oven to 350 F.
In a large bowl, combined 1 cup of flour, 1 cup of cornmeal, 1/4 cup of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda. Stiff together lightly until combined.
In a separate large bowl, mix together 1 cup of plant based milk of choice, 1/3 cup of canola oil, 1/4 cup of melted vegan butter, and 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar. Mix together till combined
Add your wet ingredients to your dry ingredients and mix until combined. DO NOT OVER MIX OUR BATTER.
Pour batter into a 9x9 inch baking pan and bake for 20-25 minutes. You know it is done once you stick a toothpick into it and it comes out clean. (see photo above)
Allow to cool before cutting. Serve with your favorite soup and chili. Will store in refrigerator for 5 to 7 days and in the freezer for 2 to 3 months.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Substitutes and Additions:
- Calories 245
- Fat 15 g
- Carbohydrates 26 g
- Fiber 2 g
- Sugar 6 g
- Protein 3 g
- Feel free to use any flour of choice tho I highly recommend to avoid white flour for health purposes.
- Feel free to use any sugar of choice. Sugar free alternatives like stevia, monkfruit, erythritol, etc should be able to work with this tho I have not tried it personally.
Calories: 259kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 235mg | Potassium: 101mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Calcium: 53mg | Iron: 1.2mg