Gluten-Free Vegan Banana Cinnamon Muffins
Have overripe bananas? Make these moist Gluten-Free Vegan Banana Cinnamon Muffins! They are great to have for a quick breakfast or healthy dessert!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 18 minutes
Total Time 28 minutes
Servings 12 muffins
- 1 tablespoon vegan egg replacer or ground flaxseed
- 2 tablespoon water
Optional Crumb Topping
- ¼ cup walnuts, crushed
- ¼ cup all-purpose gluten-free flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoon vegan butter or coconut oil, melted
- 3 medium very ripe bananas, smashed see notes
- ⅓ cup vegan butter or coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon applesauce
- 1 ¾ cup all-purpose gluten-free flour, level see notes
- 2 ¼ teaspoon baking powder, level
- 1 teaspoon baking soda, level
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder, level
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup organic cane sugar (plus 1 additional tablespoon), level
Vegan “Egg”, “Buttermilk”, and Crumb Topping
Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and spray a muffin tray with non-stick spray. Or you can add muffin/cupcake to your muffin tray for easier clean-up. Set aside.
For your vegan egg, grab a small dish, mix together egg replacer or ground flaxseed and water. Set aside. The mixture will thicken up as it sits into a gel-like consistency.
Next, make your vegan buttermilk. In a liquid measuring cup, pour in Karuna Banana Cinnamon Whole Plant Smoothie. Add in your apple cider vinegar and mix together slightly. Set aside.
Now for the crumb topping, (if you are making it). In a medium bowl add in your walnuts, flour, sugar, cinnamon, and vegan butter. Using a fork (or your hand and mix together until your mixture forms a crumble like consistency. Set aside.
In a large glass bowl, smash very ripened bananas using a fork or potato masher.
Add in melted butter, applesauce, vegan egg, and vegan buttermilk to the mashed bananas and mix very well.
In a separate bowl, add in flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon powder, sea salt, and organic cane sugar. Mix together well.
Add your wet mixture into your dry mixture and mix gently until just combined. DO NOT over mix your batter. It's even okay to have a few dry flour spots. Your batter should be thick and have some elasticity.
Spoon into muffin tins, dividing evenly into 12 muffins. Take your crumb topping and place them over each muffin evenly. Kind of gently press them into the batter. This is so when your muffins bake, the topping won’t crumble and fall off your muffin.
Bake for 18 minutes until a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. Remove from heat and allow muffins to cool before removing from pan.
Top your muffins with Date Caramel Sauce or eat them as is! You can also serve these with vegan butter, peanut butter (or any other nut butter), or even some delicious Crockpot Apple Butter. They taste the best when served warm
Muffins stay fresh covered at room temperature for up to 48 hours or in the refrigerator for up to 5 - 7 days. They can last in the freezer up to 1 month in a large size freezer bag or container covered. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator, then bring to room temperature or warm up in the microwave.
- KEY BAKING TIP: When I say “level” as a measurement, that means that the top of what you're measuring is flat; no flour/sugar goes above the top of the measuring cup or measuring spoon. DO NOT skip the apple cider vinegar (or you can use white vinegar) to ensure your muffins will rise.
- NON DAIRY MILK: You can find Karuna in many participating retail stores throughout the nation. Please use the Store Locator to find out where they are sold in your area. If you’re unable to source this beverage, you may substitute with your choice of nondairy milk.
- FLOUR: Not gluten-free? Just use regular all-purpose flour or preferably spelt flour, sprouted wheat flour, or whole wheat flour.
- GLUTEN FREE FLOURS: I used Bobs Red Mill, All Purpose Baking Flour 1 to 1 (blue label). This is the only gluten-free flour I recommend for this recipe. Trader Joes All Purpose Flour and Bobs Red Mill, All Purpose Flour (red label) can work if you add ¾ teaspoon xanthan gum to it. Please DO NOT use single gluten-free flours like coconut flour, rice flour, almond flour, etc for this recipe.
- OPTIONAL: The Cumb Topping is optional but does add a nice additional sweetness and flavor to these muffins. You can top with walnuts if you like or nothing at all.
- ADDITIONS & OTHER SUBSITITONS: Be sure to use very ripe bananas. Ripe bananas are very sweet (they are more sugar than starch) which lessens the need for adding too much sugar and it gives a nice strong banana flavor. You can get creative by folding in pecans, blueberries, walnuts, almonds, vegan chocolate chips, or even raisins!
Serving: 1muffin | Calories: 119kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 155mg | Potassium: 43mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Calcium: 44mg | Iron: 1mg