This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Vegan Asparagus Recipe is cheesy, quick, and easy to make. Best of all it only uses 6 ingredients! With my decadent vegan cashew cheese, it makes for a hearty filling side dish!
What is Cashew Cheese?
My Cashew Cheese Recipe is mainly made of cashews of course. Cashews are great for cheeses because they are dense, mild, and creamy. Other ingredients in this homemade cashew cheese include:
- Nutritional yeast gives it a cheesy flavor.
- Agar-Agar is a natural vegetable substitute for gelatin.
- Coconut oil gives it a nice source of fat and helps to keep the cheese from browning.
You can use store-bought vegan cheese if you desire but making your own cheese is beneficial because you know exactly what is in it and, to be honest, everything tastes better homemade.
How Do I Serve this Asparagus Recipe
It’s the perfect side dish to go along with the following recipes or recipe ideas:
- Vegan Lentil Loaf
- Lentil Meatballs
- Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Your favorite mock vegan product (like Gardein chicken product), tofu, tempeh, or seitan.
- It can be served with a simple dish of seasoned rice, quinoa, or a nice simple salad.
How to Make this Vegan Asparagus Recipe
*Please read detailed and printable recipe card below for full ingredients and instructions.
Prep and Bake Asparagus
- Snap or cut the ends off of your asparagus. (Photos 1 & 2)
- Mix your marinade ingredients in a small bowl, pour evenly over asparagus, and bake. (Photos 3 & 4)
- Remove from oven and top with my cashew cheese (or vegan cheese of choice). Return to oven and bake until cheese melts. (Photos 5 & 6)
Substitution, Cook, & Storage Tips
- This recipe can be served with or without the vegan cashew cheese recipe. If you don’t want to make the cashew cheese, simply use your favorite store-bought version.
- The asparagus can be switched out for other green veggies like broccoli, Brussel sprouts, or green beans
- This recipe does not freeze well and is only good in the fridge for about 2 to 3 days
How Does This Recipe Help With Vegan Weight Gain?
The cashews contain healthy good fats and are helpful in healthy weight gain. The cashews are also calorie-dense and the cheese itself can be manipulated into a variety of delicious flavors.
How Does This Recipe Help With Vegan Weight Loss?
You can make this recipe apart of your vegan weight loss plan by:
- Omitting the oil from the recipe and steaming the asparagus
- Serving it with a salad or another steamed vegetable
- Omitting the cheese and enjoying the asparagus as is.
More Lemon Recipes You’ll Love
Cheesy Lemon Vegan Asparagus Recipe
- 1 pound fresh asparagus note 2
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic or 1 large garlic clove
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Cashew Cheese Recipe (enough to spread over all your asparagus) note 1
- Preheat heat your oven to 400 F (200C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Rinsing your asparagus then proceed to snap the ends off. You can also cut them off with a knife. Line your asparagus on top of your baking sheet
- Grab a small bowl and add in oil, minced garlic, salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Mix well until fully combined. Then take your mixture and pour it evenly over asparagus. With your hands, toss mixture with asparagus until fully combined.
- Bake your asparagus for 7 to 10 minutes in your preheated oven.
- Remove from oven and top with my cashew cheese (or vegan cheese of choice). Return to oven and bake until the cheese melts and becomes golden for an additional 4-5 minutes.
- VEGAN CHEESE. This recipe can be served with or without the vegan cashew cheese recipe. If you don’t want to make the cashew cheese, simply use your favorite store-bought version.
- ADDITIONS & SUBSITUTIONS. The asparagus can be switched out for other green veggies like broccoli, Brussel sprouts, or green beans