This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Vegan Asparagus Recipe is cheesy, quick, and easy to make. Best of all it only uses 6 ingredients! With my decadent vegan cashew cheese, it makes for a hearty filling side dish!
What is Cashew Cheese?
My Cashew Cheese Recipe is mainly made of cashews of course. Cashews are great for cheeses because they are dense, mild, and creamy. Other ingredients in this homemade cashew cheese include:
- Nutritional yeast gives it a cheesy flavor. Nutritional yeast is an inactive form of yeast, it is rich in calcium and is a good source of b vitamins.
- Agar-Agar is a natural vegetable substitute for gelatin. Agar doesn’t have a taste or an odor, it helps the cheese melt and gives it that stretch which a lot of people are attracted to in cheese.
- Coconut oil gives it a nice source of fat and helps to keep the cheese from browning.
You can use store-bought vegan cheese if you desire but making your own cheese is beneficial because you know exactly what is in it and, to be honest, everything tastes better homemade.
How Do I Serve this Cheesy Asparagus Recipe
It’s the perfect side dish to go along with the following recipes or recipe ideas:
- Vegan Lentil Loaf
- Lentil Meatballs
- Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Your favorite mock vegan product (like Gardein chicken product), tofu, tempeh, or seitan.
- Eat it as a side dish with a homemade veggie and bean burger instead of french fries.
- It can be served with a simple dish of seasoned rice, quinoa, or a nice simple salad.
How to Make this Vegan Asparagus Recipe
*Please read detailed and printable recipe card below for full ingredients and instructions.
Prep Asparagus and Make Marinade
- Snap or cut off the ends off of your asparagus. (Photos 1 & 2)
- Grab a small bowl and add in oil, minced garlic, salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Mix well until fully combined. (Photos 3 & 4)
Bake Your Asparagus and Melt Cashew Cheese
- Take your mixture and pour it evenly over asparagus. Bake your asparagus for 7 to 10 minutes in your preheated oven. (Photos 1 & 2)
- Remove from oven and top with my cashew cheese (or vegan cheese of choice). Return to oven and bake until cheese melts. (Photos 3 & 4)
Substitution, Cook, & Storage Tips
- This recipe can be served with or without the vegan cashew cheese recipe. If you don’t want to make the cashew cheese, simply use your favorite store-bought version.
- The asparagus can be switched out for other green veggies like broccoli, Brussel sprouts, or green beans
- This recipe does not freeze well and is only good in the fridge for about 2 to 3 days
How Does This Recipe Help With Vegan Weight Gain?
The cashews contain healthy good fats and are helpful in healthy weight gain. The cashews are also calorie-dense and the cheese itself can be manipulated into a variety of delicious flavors.
One serving (28 grams or ¼ cup) of tofu has 12 grams of fat!
This dish can be a part of a regular vegan diet.
How Does This Recipe Help With Vegan Weight Loss?
You can make this recipe apart of your vegan weight loss plan by:
- Omitting the oil from the recipe and steaming the asparagus
- Serving it with a salad or another steamed vegetable
- Omitting the cheese and enjoying the asparagus as is.
More Lemon Recipes You’ll Love
Cheesy Lemon Vegan Asparagus RecipePrint Pin Rate
- 1 pound fresh asparagus note 2
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic or 1 large garlic clove
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Cashew Cheese Recipe (enough to spread over all your asparagus) note 1
- Preheat heat your oven to 400 F (200C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Rinsing your asparagus then proceed to snap the ends off. You can also cut them off with a knife. Line your asparagus on top of your baking sheet
- Grab a small bowl and add in oil, minced garlic, salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Mix well until fully combined. Then take your mixture and pour it evenly over asparagus. With your hands, toss mixture with asparagus until fully combined.
- Bake your asparagus for 7 to 10 minutes in your preheated oven.
- Remove from oven and top with my cashew cheese (or vegan cheese of choice). Return to oven and bake until the cheese melts and becomes golden for an additional 4-5 minutes.
- VEGAN CHEESE. This recipe can be served with or without the vegan cashew cheese recipe. If you don’t want to make the cashew cheese, simply use your favorite store-bought version.
- ADDITIONS & SUBSITUTIONS. The asparagus can be switched out for other green veggies like broccoli, Brussel sprouts, or green beans
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my full affiliate disclaimer HERE.
© VEGAN WITH CURVES. UNLESS NOTED OTHERWISE, ALL IMAGES, RECIPES, & CONTENT ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED AND REGISTERED WITH THE U.S. COPYRIGHT OFFICE. MY IMAGES AND WRITTEN CONTENT ARE NOT TO BE USED FOR ANY PURPOSE WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION. WHEN SHARING A RECIPE LINK BACK HERE TO THE ORIGINAL RECIPE. WHEN SHARING CONTENT FROM AN ARTICLE LINK BACK HERE TO THE ORIGINAL BLOG POST. READ FULL COPYRIGHT DISCLOSURE.