This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These BBQ Vegan Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are filled with oyster mushrooms, jackfruit, lentils, and topped with a homemade barbecue sauce! It has a delicious hearty “meaty” texture!
Lentils, Oyster Mushrooms, & Jackfruit?
I use lentils for this recipe because of its fiber and protein content. I used both jackfruit and oyster mushrooms because of its meaty texture.
Shredded and paired together with barbecue sauce and you create a “pulled pork” texture to stuff in your baked sweet potatoes!
How Can I Serve This?
- With a large green salad or my Chickpea Cucumber Tomato Salad recipe.
- With your choice of grilled vegetables. (I like eating this with zucchini!)
- As is! You could eat two at a time and that can be a meal in itself!
How to Make Vegan Stuffed Sweet Potatoes?
*Please read detailed and printable recipe card below for full ingredients and instructions.
Bake Potatoes and Prepare Stuffing
- First, bake your sweet potatoes. (Photo 1 & 2)
- While potatoes are baking, shred your oyster mushrooms and jackfruit and mix together. (Photo 3 & 4)
Cook Your Stuffing
- Saute’ your onions and garlic. Then add your jackfruit, oyster mushrooms, and lentils to a pot. (Photo 1 & 2)
- Next, add some homemade barbecue sauce and water to the pot and simmer until BBQ Sauce is fully infused with your stuffing ingredients. (Photo 3 & 4)
Stuff Your Potatoes
- Remove your potatoes from the oven and allow to cool. Then cut open your sweet potato. (Photo 1 & 2)
- Begin stuffing your sweet potatoes with your BBQ filling. Top it with additional barbecue sauce and cilantro. (Photo 3 & 4)
Substitution, Cook, and Storage Tips
- Try this recipe with black beans or chickpeas instead of lentils. Also, this recipe will also work with butternut squash instead of sweet potatoes!
- Be sure to use the jackfruit in a can in brine, NOT SYRUP.
- If you don’t like jackfruit, omit it and double up on the oyster mushrooms or use king oyster mushrooms.
- This recipe will last 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator. It DOES NOT freeze well.
How Does this Recipe Help with Vegan Weight Gain?
This recipe is high in “curvy” carbohydrates (58 g of carbs per stuffed potato) and has a fair amount of protein. It is lacking fat so to make it more well rounded, serve it with added nuts, seeds, or avocado slices. Great to have in your rotation as a filling vegan dinner or lunch.
How Does this Recipe Help with Vegan Weight Loss?
To make this more weight loss (waste/weight release friendly) you could:
- Swap out the sweet potatoes for acorn or butternut squash as it has fewer carbs and calories.
- Leave out the lentils and just add the jackfruit and oyster mushrooms. This will also lower the number of carbs.
More Sweet Potato Recipes You’ll Love:
Other BBQ Recipes to Try:
- Vegan BBQ Recipes Round-Up List
- Vegan Baked Beans
- Vegan Potato Salad
- Lentil Loaf
- BBQ Lentil Balls
- Vegan BBQ Sauce
BBQ Vegan Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 1 can jackfruit (14 to 20 ounce can depending on how much jackfruit you want in your filliing) note 1
- ½ package oyster mushrooms (8 oz package) note 1
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can lentils (15 ounce can)
- 1 cup Vegan BBQ Sauce or your favorite brand of BBQ Sauce
- ¼ cup water
- handful cilantro and extra Vegan BBQ Sauce for topping
Bake Your Sweet Potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Puncture the sweet potatoes with a fork and wrap each potato individually in aluminum foil. Then place them in a baking dish.
- Place them in your preheated oven and bake until soft, about 45 – 55 minutes depending on the size.
Prepare Your BBQ Stuffing
- Meanwhile, prepare the stuffing. Drain your jackfruit from the can and begin to shred your jackfruit by hand in a bowl.
- Next, clean your oyster mushrooms (a very lightly rinsand pat dry. Begin shredding your mushrooms by hands over the same bowl as your jackfruit. Mix together and set aside.
- Grab a large pot and place over medium health. Add oil, onions, and garlic and be saute for about 3-5 minutes.
- Next, add your shredded jackfruit and oyster mushrooms mixture along with garlic powder and cook lightly for 1 minute.
- Turn down heat on low and pour in your lentils and Vegan BBQ Sauce recipe. Stir to combine fully coating your filling mixture.
- Add water to prevent the mixture from over-drying, and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Once done, set aside until baked potatoes are done baking.
Stuff Your Sweet Potatoes
- When the sweet potatoes are soft, remove them from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes.
- Once cooled, transfer them to a plate, split them open with a sharp knife and spoon the barbecue mixture into the center.
- Pour additional Vegan BBQ Sauce over sweet potatoes and topped with cilantro. Serve immediately and enjoy!
- JACKFRUIT AND MUSHROOMS. You can chop your jackfruit and oyster mushrooms instead of shredding them. Be sure to use the jackfruit in a can in brine, NOT SYRUP. If you don’t like jackfruit, omit it and the entire package of oyster mushrooms or even king oyster mushrooms.
- LENTILS: Don’t like lentils? Use chickpeas or even black beans!
- SWEET POTATOES: You can use squash instead of sweet potatoes if you like.
© VEGAN WITH CURVES. UNLESS NOTED OTHERWISE, ALL IMAGES, RECIPES, & CONTENT ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED AND REGISTERED WITH THE U.S. COPYRIGHT OFFICE. MY IMAGES AND WRITTEN CONTENT ARE NOT TO BE USED FOR ANY PURPOSE WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION. WHEN SHARING A RECIPE LINK BACK HERE TO THE ORIGINAL RECIPE. WHEN SHARING CONTENT FROM AN ARTICLE LINK BACK HERE TO THE ORIGINAL BLOG POST. READ FULL COPYRIGHT DISCLOSURE.