This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Vegan Soul Food Potato Salad is a egg free version of a BBQ classic. Served warm, cold, or room temperature at your next Summer cookout!
Potatoes are the ULTIMATLE "curvy carb" staple in in healthy vegan weight gain kitchen. But today we aren't worried about macros and instead looking for some good ol nostalgia comfort!
You have stumble upon the right recipe if you are looking for a soul food potato salad to serve with your favorite vegan bbq recipes. It goes perfect with vegan ribs, southern baked beans, stove top baked beans, vegan coleslaw, and one of my most popular recipes, vegan lentil meatballs.
Vegan Soul Food Potato Salad Ingredients
No raisins or other unnecessary ingredients added. All you need is...
- Russet Potatoes (The best potatoes to use for potato salad.)
- Vegan Mayo
- Sweet Pickle Relish (I needs to be sweet! I like the Mt. Olive brand)
- Green Onions
- Salt and Pepper
- Black Salt (for that egg flavor in your egg free potato salad)
Can I make potato salad the day before?
- It will store in the fridge until ready to serve.
- The flavors will develop and taste better after a few hours and up to a few days.
How to Make Vegan Potato Salad?
*Please read detailed and printable recipe card below for full ingredients and instructions.
Substitution, Cook, & Storage Tips
- Substitute baby Yukon Gold Potatoes, which have a softer and creamier texture.
- Stir in the mayo mixture when the potatoes are still warm. The potatoes will absorb more of the flavors.
- The potato salad will keep in the fridge for 4-5 days, so make it ahead of time if you can. Potato Salad DOES NOT freeze well.
More Salad Recipes You’ll Love
Vegan Soul Food Potato Salad
- 4-6 cups water (for boiling potatoes)
- 5-6 medium russet potatoes (about 2.5 -3 lbs) note 1
- 1 cup vegan mayo
- 3 ½ teaspoon mustard
- ⅔ cup pickle relish
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 green onion stalks, chopped
- pinch of black salt optional; note 2
- 2 teaspoons organic cane sugar
- parsley and paprika for garnish optional
- Rinse and scrub potatoes clean. Peel and chop them in to cubes.
- Add the chopped potatoes to a large pot and cover them with water. Bring to a boil and cook for 10-15 minutes, until the potatoes are "fork tender." (Meaning you can pierced them with a fork.) Drain the potatoes in a colander and add to a mixing bowl.
- Next begin to make you sauce by adding to a bowl your vegan mayo, mustard, pickle relish, salt, pepper, green onions, black salt, and sugar. Whisk together until combined. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.
- While potatoes are still warm, add your potato salad sauce on top of potatoes. Mix with your potatoes slightly mashing some of the potatoes as you go along.
- POTATOES: Russet potatoes are best in potato salad. However, red will work as well. Whatever you have on hand.
- BLACK SALT: This is an optional ingredient, however it really adds a nice egg flavor to your potato salad and I highly recommend it.
Update Notes: This post was originally published in June 29, 2018, but was republished with new photos, new recipe instructions, new step by step instructions, tips, and a new video June 14, 2022.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my full Affiliate Disclaimer.
© Gina Marie Hoskins. Vegan With Curves. All Rights Reserved. Unless noted otherwise, all images, recipes, & content are copyright protected and registered with the U.S. Copyright Office. My images and written content are NOT to be used without prior permission. Read full Copyright Disclosure.