This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These black bean nachos with vegan nacho cheese sauce are the best nachos I ever had! Made with plant based ingredients easily found in your vegan pantry like black beans, fresh avocados, salty crunchy tortilla chips, and salsa! These vegan nachos are great for a Cinco de Mayo celebration or game day party!
I remember when I first made nachos. I used a pre bought vegan cheese and melted it with plant based milk. I posted it on Facebook and folks went crazy over the recipe. It was delicious and I made this nacho recipe for along time. But as I have grown in my vegan culinary skills I found a more plant based version I can call my own. These black bean nachos are my absolute FAVORITE way to make nachos because I always have the ingredients on hand!
Vegan Curve Building Ingredients
OK there are so many curve building ingredients in these black bean nachos so I decided to pick out my top three!
Black Beans is protein packed! One of black beans have 15 grams of protein!
Cashews is one of the main ingredients of the vegan nacho cheese sauce. It is a calorie dense food and it falls under the “fat full” category in your curvy vegan pantry. A serving of cashews (about 1/4 cup) has 200 calories.
Tortillas which is the based of this recipe and what I would call “curvy carbohydrates.” One serving of tortillas chips contains 46 grams of carbohydrates.
OK lets get started on these black bean nachos by first making your black beans. Very simple. Take a can of black beans and rinse. Cook in veggie broth with chili powder, cumin, and sea salt and set aside. Then you will boil the based of your vegan nacho cheese sauce ingredients; potatoes, carrots, and cashews.
Next lets make that cheese sauce! Take boiled drained cashews, potatoes, and carrots; nutritional yeast, lemon juice, plant based milk, and tapioca flour in a high speed blender. Blend till smooth at desired consistency. Then add cheese sauce to a pan and heat while stirring. This will get the sauce nice and thick and gooey.
The PERFECT vegan nacho cheese sauce!
Next layer your nachos. This is where it gets fun. Lay your tortillas on a plate. Add your black beans, cheese sauce, chopped tomatoes, cilantro, and slice avocados. Keep layering your nachos as high as you desire. You can use whatever toppings you desire. ( I know everyone does not like cilantro lol) Enjoy!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? Tell me how it turned out for you! Was it a hit or miss? Did you ever feel you could have nachos as a vegan? What is your favorite vegan cheese sauce recipe? Tell me about it. Leave a comment below, rate it, and PIN IT! Also tag a photo @_VeganWithCurves and hashtag #VeganWithCurves on Instagram so I can see it!
[clickToTweet tweet=”These black bean nachos with vegan nacho cheese sauce are the best nachos I ever had! #veganwithcurves #veganrecipes #veganfoodshare #veganmeals” quote=”These black bean nachos with vegan nacho cheese sauce are the best nachos I ever had! “]
Black Bean Nachos with Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce
- 1 16 ounce can black beans
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth or stock
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Pink Himalayan Sea Salt (or whatever salt you prefer)
- 1 cup potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup carrots chopped
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons tapicoa flour (starch)
- 1 1/2 cup plant based milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan Pink Sea Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 medium avocado, chopped
- 1-2 tomatoes chopped
- handful cilantro
- Drain and rinse your black beans. Add vegetable broth, your seasonings and black beans to a small sauce pan and heat over medium heat. Allow to cook for about 10 minutes to allow the flavors to infuse in the beans. Remove from heat and set aside.
Vegan Nacho Cheese
- At this point you need to preheat your oven to about 350 degrees F. You will not need it for this step BUT you will for the next step. (This is if you prefer warm nacho chips. If not you can skip this step).
- Grab a medium pot and fill with 2 cups of water. Bring water to a boil and add chopped potatoes and carrots. Boil for about 10 minutes. Add 1/4 cashews to pot and boil for about 5 more minutes to soften. Turn off and remove from heat and drain.
- Add boiled carrots, potatoes, and cashews and the rest of your nacho cheese ingredients to your high speed blender and blend until smooth. It's important to use a very good high speed blender so that your cashews will completely grind up. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.
- Next pour cheese sauce into a small pot and heat over medium-high heat, while stirring until it becomes cheesy and gooey for about 5 minutes.
Putting it Together
- Grab a large and spread your tortilla chips on it. Add beans, tomatoes, and cheese sauce as your first layer. Then repeat for your second layer with beans, tomatoes, and cheese sauce (this is optional you don't have to do a second layer)
- Bake for 5 minutes just enough to heat up your tortilla chips. Remove and top with avocado and cilantro.
- If you prefer you can skip this step and just layer your nachos without heating them up.
Recipe NotesNutritional Information Per Serving
- Calories 407
- Fat 13 g
- Carbohydrates 64 g
- Fiber 16 g
- Sugar 5 g
- Protein 23 g
- Use whatever toppings you desire. You can use salsa or guacamole instead of tomatoes and sliced avocados
- This also works really well with lentils or your favorite vegan beefy crumbles!
© VEGAN WITH CURVES. UNLESS NOTED OTHERWISE, ALL IMAGES, RECIPES, & CONTENT ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED AND REGISTERED WITH THE U.S. COPYRIGHT OFFICE. MY IMAGES AND WRITTEN CONTENT ARE NOT TO BE USED FOR ANY PURPOSE WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION. WHEN SHARING A RECIPE LINK BACK HERE TO THE ORIGINAL RECIPE. WHEN SHARING CONTENT FROM AN ARTICLE LINK BACK HERE TO THE ORIGINAL BLOG POST. READ FULL COPYRIGHT DISCLOSURE.