This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Vegan Oyster Mushroom Nachos are a great plant based version of fajita nachos! In just 30 minutes, you will have a vegan appetizer sure to be a major hit!
Oyster Mushrooms in Nachos?
Typically you might see oyster mushrooms fried like these Fried Oyster Mushrooms or Vegan Po Boy Sandwich. But because these mushrooms have a similar texture to chicken, I figured they would make the perfect vegan substitute for fajita nachos!
How to Serve Vegan Nachos?
I absolutely love loaded nachos! I added the oyster mushroom "meat" over my homemade air fryer tortilla chips and topped it with:
- dairy free nacho cheese
- store bought vegan sour cream
- vegan guacamole
- fresh cilantro
- fresh jalapeños
- lime wedge
How to Make Mushroom Nachos?
*Please read detailed and printable recipe card below for full ingredients and instructions.
- Split your oyster mushrooms to resemble shredded a "shredded chicken" texture. Next add your oyster mushrooms to a large mixing glass bowl your taco seasoning mix and marinate for 10 minutes. (Photo 1 & 2)
- Add your marinated mushrooms, with water, tomato paste, and additional taco seasoning to the skillet. Simmer until sauce has thickened for 3 – 5 minutes. Once done remove from heat and get ready to assemble your nachos. (Photo 3 & 4)
- Place tortilla chips in your pan topping it with your oyster mushroom meat along with vegan nacho cheese and other toppings of choice. Serve warm. (Photo 5 & 6)
Substitution, Cook, and Storage Tips:
- If you do not have access to oyster mushrooms you can try this with any other mushrooms. I have personally only done this oyster mushrooms. You can also use jackfruit for this!
- All the ingredients I used to top on these nachos, you can buy them store bought if you desire even the taco seasoning.
- This recipe will keep for 2 to 3 days in the refrigerator. It is not freezer friendly.
More Oyster Recipes You'll Love
- Fried Oyster Mushrooms
- Vegan Po Boy
- Oyster Mushroom Jackfruit Pot Roast
- Vegan Teriyaki Oyster Mushrooms and Broccoli
- King Oyster Mushroom Soup
- BBQ Vegan Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Other Appetizers to Try
Vegan Oyster Mushroom Nachos Recipe
Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon organic cane sugar
Oyster Mushroom Taco Meat
- 1 package oyster mushrooms (approximately 1 pound) note 1
- 3 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning mix note 2
- 2 tablespoons Lime juice
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 1 teaspoon additional grapeseed oil
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons additional homemade taco seasoning mix note 2
Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix
- Combined cornstarch, cumin powder, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, smoked paprika, chili powder, sea salt, and organic cane sugar in a small bowl or jar. Mixed together until fully combined and set aside.
Oyster Mushroom Taco Meat
- First clean your oyster mushrooms by taking a damp paper towel and wiping your mushrooms off one by one. Don't rinse your mushrooms because mushrooms hold a lot of water.
- Next, split your oyster mushrooms to resemble "shredded chicken". Next add your oyster mushrooms to a large mixing glass bowl along with 3 tablespoons of homemade taco seasoning mix, lime juice, and 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil. Toss until oyster mushrooms are fully coated. Cover with with saran wrap and allow mushrooms to marinate for 10 minutes.
- Grab a cast iron skillet (or whatever skillet you have) and place over medium high heat. Add 1 teaspoon of grapeseed oil to your pan and then add your marinated mushrooms to the skillet. Sauté tossing for about 2 to 3 minutes until mushrooms soften a bit.
- Next add water, tomato paste, and 2 teaspoons of homemade taco seasoning and mix with your mushrooms. Turn down heat to medium low and simmer until sauce has thickened for 3 - 5 minutes. Once done remove from heat and get ready to assemble your nachos.
Assembling of Nachos
- You can use any toppings you desire these are just the ones I choose. Grab your air fryer tortilla chips and layer it in a pan, plate or cast iron skillet. Top with your oyster mushroom taco meat, dairy free vegan cheese, store bought sour cream, vegan guacamole, fresh cilantro, and fresh jalapenos.
- OYSTER MUSHROOMS: If you do not have access to oyster mushrooms you can try this with any other mushrooms. I have personally only done this oyster mushrooms. You can use jackfruit for this recipe as well!
- HOMEMADE TOPPINGS: All the ingredients I used to top on these nachos, you can buy them store bought if you desire even the taco seasoning.
- SERVINGS: Exact servings will depend on how much you eat in one setting and will differ for everyone. I ate this 3 portions over a few days so that is why it this recipe states a total of 3 servings.
- NUTRITION: Calorie nutrition will be based on toppings used. The nutrition calculated here is based on the toppings I used shown on this blog.
- STORAGE: This recipe will keep for 2 to 3 days in the refrigerator. It is not freezer friendly.
Update Notes: This post was originally published on April 26, 2018, but was republished with better ingredients, new pictures, step by step instructions, updated recipe instructions, and tips on March 11, 2021.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my full Affiliate Disclaimer.
© Gina Marie Hoskins. Vegan With Curves. All Rights Reserved. Unless noted otherwise, all images, recipes, & content are copyright protected and registered with the U.S. Copyright Office. My images and written content are NOT to be used without prior permission. Read full Copyright Disclosure.