This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This King Oyster Mushroom Soup has the comfort of Fall and Winter, yet the vegetation of late Summer. It is made with simple Dr. Sebi Ingredients and paired with zucchini noodles for creativity and chickpeas for protein!
What Are Zucchini Noodles?
Zucchini noodles are just fresh zucchini that has gone through a Spiralizer to create a spiral like design mimicking actual noodles.
Of course you could just use regular flour noodles but with zucchini you are getting a whole food instead of a processed one (all pasta and noodles are processed foods). So not only is it a healthier choice, it's much more affordable!
What are King Oyster Mushrooms?
You might be familiar with oyster mushrooms from my very popular fried oyster mushroom recipe. But there are multiple variety of oyster mushrooms and yes they can be prepared beyond just frying
You will typically see king oyster mushrooms prepared as a vegan substitute for scallops. King oyster mushrooms are much larger with thicker stems and they can be found at Asians stores
How to Make King Oyster Mushroom Soup?
*Please read detailed and printable recipe card below for full ingredients and instructions.
Prepping Zucchini and King Oyster Mushrooms
- Begin to spiralize your zucchini so that they resemble noodles. (Photos 1 & 2)
- Next, take a damp paper towel and begin to wipe down your king oyster mushrooms. Once mushrooms are clean, begin to shred the stems of mushrooms to resemble a shredded chicken texture. (Photos 3 & 4)
Cooking Your Soup
- Over medium high heat, begin to saute your vegetables until mushrooms are fully coated with seasonings and they begin to soften.(Photos 1 & 2)
- Next add your Vegan Bone Broth and cooked chickpeas to your pot and simmer soup covered for 25 - 30 minutes. (Photos 3 & 4)
- Once soup has simmered, add your spiral zucchini to the pot and quickly stir it in to your pot. Serve immediately (Photos 5 & 6)
Substitution, Cook, & Storage Tips
- You can use whatever type of mushrooms you desire whether it be regular oyster mushrooms, or a totally different variety all together.
- I used my homemade Vegan Bone Broth because the ingredients in the broth were created with Dr. Sebi approved ingredients (and it has sea moss gel). But to save some time, use your desired choice of vegetable broth.
- This soup will keep in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. It DOES NOT freeze well.
How Does This Recipe Help With Vegan Weight Gain?
This recipe contains chickpeas which is high in "curvy" carbohydrates and plant based protein. One serving of this recipe contains 10 grams of protein and 34 grams of carbohydrates!
I would double up on the portion to get enough calories from this recipe as one serving is pretty low in calories. You can also serve this soup with tortilla chips (spelt tortilla chips if you eat a Dr. Sebi Diet).
How Does This Recipe Help With Vegan Weight Loss?
You can make this recipe apart of your vegan weight loss plan by:
- This recipe doesn't cause weight gain as it's naturally already low in calories.
More "Alkaline Vegan" Recipes You’ll Love
- Creamy Kamut "Alkaline" Pasta
- "Alkaline" Blackberry Bars
- "Alkaline" Blackberry Jam
- Strawberry Banana Nice Cream
- Sea Moss Milk
- Vegan Bone Broth
Other Soup Recipes
King Oyster Mushroom Soup
- 3 small zucchini
- 4 small king oyster mushrooms note 1
- 2 tablespoons grape seed oil
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- ½ large red pepper
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 5 cups Vegan Bone Broth note 2
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas (equals about two 16 ounce cans) note 3
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Rinse your zucchini and with your Spiralizer, begin to spiralize your zucchini so that they resemble noodles. If you don't have a spiralizer, simply cut in thin strips or chop the zucchini how you prefer. The way it's cut won't changed the taste of the dish. Set aside.
- Next, take a damp paper towel and begin to wipe down your king oyster mushrooms (this is how you clean mushrooms). DO NOT rinse them in water. Mushrooms are porous and they soak up liquid making them too watery to soak up the flavor of the soup.
- Once mushrooms are clean, cut of the ends and tops and chop them in small pieces. Then with a fork begin to shred the stems to resemble a shredded chicken texture. This might take some time. It doesn't have to be perfect. If this is to tiresome, simply cut your mushrooms in small chucks. Just like the zucchini, the way it's cut won't change the taste of the dish. Set aside.
- Over medium high heat, add grape seed oil, chopped onions, chopped red peppers, shredded king oyster mushrooms, sea salt, onion powder, and cayenne pepper. Begin to saute your vegetables until mushrooms are fully coated with seasonings and they begin to soften for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Next add your Vegan Bone Broth, cooked chickpeas, dried basil, dried tarragon, and dried oregano to your pot. Stir seasonings into the broth and turn down heat to simmer soup covered for 25 - 30 minutes.
- Once soup has simmered, add your spiral zucchini to the pot and quickly stir it in to your pot for for 30 to 60 seconds. Immediately turn off your stove removing pot from the heat.
- Serve immediately with your choice of tortilla chips (spelt tortilla chips for people who eat a strict Dr. Sebi Diet), salad, or as is! Recipe will keep in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. It DOES NOT freeze well.
- MUSHROOMS: King Oyster Mushrooms can be found cheaply at your local Asian Market. You can use whatever type of mushrooms you desire. I used King Oyster Mushrooms because I enjoy their texture.
- VEGAN BONE BROTH: You can use your choice of broth. I used my homemade Vegan Bone Broth because the ingredients in the broth were created with Dr. Sebi approved ingredients and I wanted to keep this particular recipe Dr. Sebi friendly.
- CHICKPEAS: The chickpeas for this recipe need to be pre-cooked. If you can use canned chickpeas (note Dr. Sebi teachings don't recommend eating from a can but if you don't follow a strict Sebi diet, you can use them) or steamed chickpeas in a bag.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my full Affiliate Disclaimer.
© Gina Marie Hoskins. Vegan With Curves. All Rights Reserved. Unless noted otherwise, all images, recipes, & content are copyright protected and registered with the U.S. Copyright Office. My images and written content are NOT to be used without prior permission. Read full Copyright Disclosure.