This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This buttermilk dairy free cornbread is Southern classic recipe made vegan that is perfect for cornbread dressing or as a side with collard greens!
My vegan spelt cornbread recipes is delicious. It is sweet and made with spelt flour giving it some health benefits.
But this buttermilk dairy free cornbread recipe used in my vegan cornbread dressing recipe because it is more savory and super traditional like how my grandma use to make it. It's so simple to make, all you need is one bowl and some everyday pantry ingredients!
Dairy Free Cornbread Key Ingredients
Apple Cider Vinegar & Plant Based Milk: These two things are how you make vegan buttermilk and what will give your cornbread great flavor and help it rise when baking. I used my sea moss milk for this recipe but you can use whatever plant based milk you have on hand.
Fine Cornmeal: Be sure your cornmeal is finely grind versus coarse grinded. Trust me, there is a difference.
All Purpose Flour: You can use any flour you desire but to keep it traditional, I used all purpose flour.
Baking Powder: This interacts with the apple cider vinegar and helps the cornbread rise.
How to Make Vegan Buttermilk Cornbread
*Please read detailed and printable recipe card below for full ingredients and instructions.
SUBSTITUTION, COOK, & STORAGE TIPS
- This recipe will store in your refrigerator in a air tight container for up to 5-7 days. You can store it in the freezer as well for up to 3 months.
- For maximum freezer storage, portion your cornbread into slices and vacuum seal it.
More Vegan Soul Food Recipes You'll Love
Vegan Buttermilk Dairy Free Cornbread (One Bowl)
- 1 teaspoon soften vegan butter (for greasing pan)
- 1 cup plant based milk
- 1 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup fine yellow cornmeal note 2
- 1 ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup organic cane sugar note 3
- ¼ cup grapeseed oil
- 3 tablespoons melted vegan butter
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Grab your round cake pan and grease it with 1 teaspoon of soften butter. Set aside. In your measuring cup mix together your plant based milk and apple cider vinegar. This will be your butter milk. Set aside.
- In your large mixing bowl, add in your fine cornmeal, all purpose flour, baking powder, sea salt, and organic cane sugar. Lightly stiff together. In that same bowl add in your vegan butter milk, grapeseed oil, and melted vegan butter. Mix with your dry ingredients until fully combined without over mixing.
- Grab your greased cake pan and pour in your cornbread batter spreading it evenly into the pain. Place in your preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes. (I did a full 30 minutes to allow it to get more brown at the top).
- Once done, allow it to cool and serve with your favorite vegan soul food recipes or use in this cornbread recipe in some vegan cornbread dressing!
- FOOD SCALE: I highly recommend when it comes to baking (and accurate macros) to weigh your ingredients. The measurements provided in grams are accurate measurements I personally weighed and it will ensure the most accurate results. You can get an inexpensive food scale on Amazon for about $7 bucks.
- CORNMEAL: Be sure to use fine grinded cornmeal for the best texture of cornbread.
- ORGANIC CANE SUGAR: Organic cane sugar ensures that the sugar is vegan (aka not processed through pig bone char). But use whatever sugar is available and accessible to you. Also this IS NOT a sweet cornbread like my spelt cornbread recipe. If you want it more sweeter, you can add more sugar.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my full Affiliate Disclaimer.
© Gina Marie Hoskins. Vegan With Curves. All Rights Reserved. Unless noted otherwise, all images, recipes, & content are copyright protected and registered with the U.S. Copyright Office. My images and written content are NOT to be used without prior permission. Read full Copyright Disclosure.