This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Oyster mushrooms are THE BEST so it's only right that I make a vegan cream of mushroom soup with them! Enjoy this comforting soup on your table in under an hour!
Oyster Mushrooms for the Win Again!
Here on Vegan With Curves, you see oyster mushrooms used A LOT. My most popular recipe is Fried Oyster Mushrooms, but you don't always have to fry oyster mushrooms to enjoy them.
You can find oyster mushrooms at your local Asian Grocery Store.
Can You Buy Vegan or Dairy Free Cream of Mushroom Soup?
You would think in this day in age it would be easy to find. But as the writing of this post, I have not been able to find it. But the there's a silver lining because homemade is always best anyway!
Even if you can find vegan cream of mushroom soup, I can almost guarantee you will like this version a lot better.
What to Serve With This Cream of Mushroom Soup?
- Vegan Garlic Bread
- Vegan Dinner Rolls
- A nice hearty Vegan Salad
Substitution, Cook, and Storage Tips:
- If you can't find oyster mushrooms, you can always substitute with any mushrooms that are available to you for a more traditional mushroom soup. The flavor wills till be there.
- This recipe calls for white wine for a more rich flavor but is optional and can be omitted.
- The amount of thickness depends on how much of flour you add. For a thinner soup use only 6 tablespoons of chickpea flour. For a thicker soup, use as recommended. If using other gluten based flours, refer to recipe notes below.
- This soups stores well in the refrigerator for up 3 to 4 days and can be frozen for up to 2 months.
More Oyster Mushroom Recipes
- Fried Oyster Mushrooms
- Oyster Mushroom Jackfruit Pot Roast
- Vegan Po Boy
- Vegan Oyster Mushrooms Nachos
- Vegan Teriyaki Oyster Mushrooms and Broccoli
- King Oyster Mushroom Soup
- Vegan White Chili
- BBQ Vegan Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Other Soup Recipes to Try
Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup (with Oyster Mushrooms!)
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small or medium onions, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound oyster mushrooms note 1
- 10 ounces baby bella mushrooms
- ¼ cup dry white wine (preferably Pinot Grigio) optional
- 6 tablespoons chickpea flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 teaspoons dried thyme, divided
- 4 cups water
- 1 Not Chicken Bouillon Cube
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- Chopped fresh parsley to serve
- First clean your oyster and baby bella mushrooms by taking a damp paper towel and wiping your mushrooms off one by one. Don't rinse your mushrooms because mushrooms hold a lot of water. Slice your baby bella mushrooms and place in a bowl. (You can keep your oyster mushrooms whole or shred them; your choice). Set aside.
- Heat vegan butter and oil in a large pot over medium-high heat until melted. Sauté onion for 2 to 3 minutes until softened. Next add garlic and cook for about 1 minute. Add oyster mushrooms, baby bella mushrooms to pot. Cook for 5 minutes until mushrooms soften.
- Pour in wine and allow to cook for 3 minutes. Sprinkle mushrooms with flour, mix well and cook for 2 minutes. Add sea salt, black pepper, and 1½ teaspoons of dried thyme to pot and mix together with mushrooms.
- Add water and Not Chicken Bouillon Cube to pot and mix again until bouillon dissolves into soup making a broth for about 3 minutes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low-medium, cover and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes, while occasionally stirring, until thickened.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in full fat coconut milk. Allow to gently simmer for 1 - 2 minutes. Sprinkle in fresh parsley, remaining 1½ teaspoons of dried thyme, and sea salt and pepper to taste. Adjust seasonings to your liking. Remove from heat Serve with vegan garlic bread or use in vegan cornbread dressing.
- OYSTER MUSHROOMS: If you can't find oyster mushrooms, you can always substitute with any mushrooms that are available to you for a more traditional mushroom soup. The flavor wills till be there.
- WINE: This recipe calls for white wine for a more rich flavor but is optional and can be omitted.
- CHICKPEA FLOUR: The amount of thickness depends on how much of flour you add. This is not a condensed version of cream of mushroom soup used to make recipes like cornbread dressing. You can substitute with whatever flour you have on hand. (NOTE: I do not know if this will work with other gluten free flours besides chickpea flour but you are welcome to test it out yourself.)
- STORAGE: This soups stores well in the refrigerator for up 3 to 4 days and can be frozen for up to 2 months.
*Recipe loosely adapted from CafeDelites
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my full Affiliate Disclaimer.
© Gina Marie Hoskins. Vegan With Curves. All Rights Reserved. Unless noted otherwise, all images, recipes, & content are copyright protected and registered with the U.S. Copyright Office. My images and written content are NOT to be used without prior permission. Read full Copyright Disclosure.