This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This is the most authentic tasting vegan cornbread dressing online! This dressing will have you thinking you're back at your grandma's kitchen!
On Facebook I made a status about how I almost shed tear when I tasted this vegan cornbread dressing.
I spent a long time trying to replicate how my grandma made cornbread dressing and I FINALLY was successful! It pairs perfectly with my sea moss jellied cranberry sauce!
Now this is NOT a quick recipe. It is very involved and will need to be made with love, time and care. So I am honored to share this recipe with you to bring to your vegan thanksgiving table or vegan soul food Sunday dinner!
Vegan Cornbread Dressing Key Ingredients
Dairy Free Cornbread: Every good cornbread dressing starts with a good cornbread. I used my day old buttermilk dairy free cornbread recipe for recipe versus my spelt cornbread recipe. Both are good but my spelt cornbread recipe is a little to sweet for this.
Vegan "Chicken" Broth: This broth is out of this world! The recipe is posted in the recipe card but I also made a separate blog post for it because it is so good! I used King Oyster Mushrooms as the "chicken" substitute. So this broth is a similar method just as if you were making chicken broth in a traditional cornbread dressing recipe.
Vegan Cream of Chicken Soup: I made this recipe specifically for this cornbread dressing dish. It takes 10-15 minutes to make and is so worth the additional flavor for your dressing.
Ritz Crackers: Some people use stale bread. Others use saltine crackers. But ritz crackers add an amazing flavor and yes it is naturally vegan!
How to Make Cornbread Dressing
*Please read detailed and printable recipe card below for full ingredients and instructions.
Make the Broth
Make the Dressing
SUBSTITUTION, COOK, & STORAGE TIPS
- You can use any vegan cornbread recipe you prefer however, my dairy free cornbread recipe is specifically made for this recipe.
- If you don't have time to make your own vegan chicken broth, you can use your favorite store brought brand but I URGE you to make the broth yourself as it is so much more flavorful.
- This recipe will last in the refrigerator for up to 7 days and in the freezer for up to 3 months. You can even pre make your dressing and freeze it un cooked for up to 3 months. Just make sure you cover it it tightly in plastic wrap in your pan.
More Vegan Thanksgiving Recipes
- dairy free mac and cheese
- vegan candied yams
- soul food thanksgiving menu (coming soon!)
WANT MORE? Subscribe to my NEWSLETTER and follow along on Pinterest, Facebook, and Tik Tok for the latest updates.
Authentic Southern Vegan Cornbread "Chicken" Dressing
- 1 recipe day old buttermilk dairy free cornbread note 1
Vegan "Chicken" Broth
- 4 medium celery stalks
- 1 small onion
- 1 large king oyster mushroom note 2
- 10 cups water
- 3 tablespoons Not Chicken Broth Base
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 3 tablespoon soften vegan butter (plus 1 teaspoon for greasing baking pan)
- 1 sleeve Ritz Crackers (about 30 crackers)
- 1 recipe condensed vegan cream of chicken soup note 3
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190° C). Take a large mixing bowl and crumble up your day old dairy free cornbread. Set aside.
Make Vegan Chicken Broth
- Rinse celery and onion. On a cutting board, chop your celery into fine pieces. Roughly chop your onion into medium pieces. Transfer into a bowl and set aside.
- Next, clean mushroom with a damp paper towel. On that same cutting board, begin to cut off the bottom ends of the king oyster mushroom and discard as that part is very tough. Cut off the tops and chop them up. You will want to keep this part as it's very tender.
- Cut your mushroom in half length wise down the middle. With your hands, begin to tear your mushroom into a shredded like texture. Then take your knife and cut those pieces in half. Add shredded mushroom to your mixing bowl along with the rest of your vegetables.
- To your Dutch oven or Stock Pot, add in your water and Not Chicken Broth Base. Stir in the broth base until the liquid is well combined with the water. Next add in garlic powder, onion powder, poultry seasoning, chopped onions, celery, and king oyster mushrooms. Mix together.
- Turn stove on high heat. Cover and bring to a boil. Once it has boil, turn down to a low medium heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Once done, allow broth to cool for 5 minutes. Then place a deep colander over a large mixing bowl and drain broth leaving behind the cooked vegetables. Set aside the broth and vegetables.
Making the Dressing
- Take 1 teaspoon of vegan butter and grease your 13x9 inch baking dish. Set aside. Grab your bowl with the crumble cornbread. To your bowl, crumble up finely your Ritz crackers. Also add in your vegan cream of chicken soup, poultry seasoning, cooked vegetables (drained from broth), and soften vegan butter to the bowl.
- Then you will want to pour in your broth ONE CUP AT A TIME and then mix with your rubber spatula after each cup. You will want to do this one at a time as to not make it too soupy or leave it too dry. I used a total of 3 cups for the perfect consistency.
- Pour your dressing into your greased baking dish and spread it evenly. Place in your preheated oven and bake for 30- 40 minutes. DO NOT bake longer than that. You do not want to over cook this. Once done, remove from oven and allow it to cool before serving with the rest of your Vegan Thanksgiving Menu! Goes along perfect with my sea moss cranberry sauce recipe!
- DAIRY FREE CORNBREAD: You can use any vegan cornbread recipe you prefer however, my dairy free cornbread recipe is specifically made for this recipe.
- KING OYSTER MUSHROOMS: King Oyster Mushrooms are serving as the "chicken" in the recipe when making the broth. But you can use your favorite vegan chicken substitute for a more realistic texture.
- VEGAN CREAM OF CHICKEN SOUP: The vegan cream of chicken soup is optional to add however because it only takes about 10 minutes to make, I personally would not omit it. Your best success with this recipe will be to follow it exactly as it is written.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my full Affiliate Disclaimer.
© Gina Marie Hoskins. Vegan With Curves. All Rights Reserved. Unless noted otherwise, all images, recipes, & content are copyright protected and registered with the U.S. Copyright Office. My images and written content are NOT to be used without prior permission. Read full Copyright Disclosure.
You didn't tell me to put the vegetables into the dressing...I almost didn't do it... make sure to add, "after mixing the broth with your cornbread mix, and the dressing is the right consistency, add the vegetables back to the mix. Stir, and put in your tin pan..."
My apologies! I write 100s of blog posts and sometimes there are errors that I miss. Thank you for this! I will be correcting it.