This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
A soul food classic now made vegan and healthier! Air fried okra is great to eat as a filling side dish or as a quick appetizer!
Ninja Foodi Air Fryer Function
For this recipe, I’m using my Ninja Foodi Cooker! It’s an electric pressure cooker, air fryer, slow cooker, oven, stove-top, steamer, and dehydrator all in one!
Some other Ninja Foodi recipes on the blog include:
One tip you need to know is when air frying to NEVER use aerosol cooking spray in a can as it can leave residue on the air fryer basket. Instead add some oil in a Misto to protect your appliance.
Is Fried Okra Good for You?
Well frying anything isn’t the healthies thing in the world but air frying okra makes it healthier and better than traditionally frying okra because you are using less oil
Also, okra in itself is a very healthy vegetable to consume on a regular basis. Read 9 Ways That Okra Benefits Your Health. Plus there are no animal products in this recipe making it not only healthier, but cruelty free!
What to Eat With Air Fried Okra?
- As a side dish served with Fried Oyster Mushrooms, Black Eyed Pea Soup, and Vegan Spelt Cornbread
- Eat like appetizer dipped in some Vegan Remoulade Sauce
- Serve along side a Oyster Mushroom Vegan Po Boy Sandwich
How to Make Air Fried Okra?
*Please read the detailed and printable recipe card below for full ingredients and instructions.
- Make your cornmeal dry batter and wet batter in separate bowls. (Photo 1 & 2)
- Coat your okra in wet batter first and then coat it in dry batter. (Photo 3 & 4)
- Add it to your air fryer and air fry until crispy. (Photo 5 & 6)
Substitution, Cook, & Storage Tips
- Remember NEVER use aerosol cooking spray in a can as it can leave residue on the air fryer basket. Add some oil in a Misto and use that instead.
- I seasoned this using my Homemade Cajun Seasoning Recipe. However you can use a store bought version if you desire.
- I used fresh okra but it is okay to use frozen okra as long as it is thawed out first.
- I use spelt flour as it is the staple flour in my pantry but you can use whatever flour you have on hand.
- Do not overcrowd the the air frying basket. I fried this in two batches.
- If you don’t have an air fryer alternative instructions are in the recipe card.
- This recipe will keep in the fridge for 2 to 3 days and can be reheated in your air fryer to retain crispness. It does freeze well.
Vegan Appetizers Recipes You’ll Love
- Fried Oyster Mushrooms
- Air Fried Buffalo Cauliflower
- Vegan Nacho Cheese
- BBQ Lentil Balls
- Red Vegan Salsa
- Vegan Guacamole
Other Vegan Soul Food Recipes to Try
- Vegan Lentil Loaf
- Dairy Free Mac and Cheese
- Baked Candied Sweet Potatoes
- Vegan Greens Beans
- Sweet Potato Pecan Pie
Air Fried Okra
- 1 pound fresh okra (12 oz to 16 oz frozen okra, thawed) note 1
- grapeseed oil (for air frying) note 2
- 1 cup plant based milk
- 1 tsp apple cider
- 1 tsp Cajun Seasoning
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- If using fresh okra, rinse, pat dry, cut off stems, and slice okra pounds in to small rounds. If using frozen okra, allow to thaw before use.
- In a mixing bowl combined plant based milk, apple cider vinegar, Cajun Seasoning, salt, and pepper and mixed until combined. Add your okra to the wet batter and fully toss to coat. Allow to marinate for 10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl combined spelt flour, cornmeal, Cajun Seasoning, salt, and pepper together and mixed together. Add your marinated okra to the dry batter and fully toss to coat.
- Add an air fryer liner to your pre heated air fryer (optional if you don't want to dirty up your air fryer). Place okra in air fryer basket making sure not to not over crowd them. (I air fried these in two separate batches). Lightly spray grapeseed oil on top of okra and cook at 400°F (205°C), for 10 minutes until it is nice and crispy.
- Fresh Okra: I used fresh okra but it is okay to use frozen okra as long as it is thawed out first.
- Grapeseed Oil: Remember NEVER use aerosol cooking spray in a can as it can leave residue on the air fryer basket. Add some oil in a Misto and use that instead.
- Spelt Flour: I use spelt flour as it is the staple flour in my pantry but you can use whatever flour you have on hand.
- Storage: This recipe will keep in the fridge for 2 to 3 days and can be reheated in your air fryer to retain crispness. It does freeze well.
- Skillet Fry Instructions: Heat 3 inches of oil in a deep pot to 375° F (190° C). Fry okra in batches at a time for 3 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oil carefully and drain on a paper towel before serving.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my full Affiliate Disclaimer.
© Gina Marie Hoskins. Vegan With Curves. All Rights Reserved. Unless noted otherwise, all images, recipes, & content are copyright protected and registered with the U.S. Copyright Office. My images and written content are NOT to be used without prior permission. Read full Copyright Disclosure.